Saturday, August 6, 2011

Who I am...

I am 25 days from being 28 years old.  I am an Army wife who just finished the 2nd deployment with my spouse overseas.  I have a 11 month old baby girl named Chloe.  Those are the important points....oh and I am 277 pounds.  I have tried to lose weight probably 50 million times since I was like 10.  I was always about 20 lbs overweight as a kid.  I loved to eat.  I could snarf down a double quarter pounder with cheese and large fries at McDonalds when I was 12.  I was always hungry and could always eat.  The pain of stuffing myself never seemed to bother me.  I could always seem to eat more.  Back then I got joy from buffets and fast food.  Every other weekend I visited my dad and we would eat out at least once.  My favorite was Taco Tico.  We would buy about 2 dozen tacos and the leftovers would sit out overnight and I would eat them for breakfast.  I loved the soggy taste of them! 

So with a food/weight journey like that it's no surprise that once the "desire" to be thin left--which happened sometime between college and right after marriage--I got fat...the largest ever. 

So right now I am somewhere between needing to lose and wanting to lose the weight.  Intellectually I want to lose it.  I mean, does anyone besides sumo wrestlers want to weigh a lot?  But emotionally and mentally, I haven't really wanted to put forth any effort.  I have been watching my husband do his P90x workouts everyday for 35 days.  I will admit there is a part of me--deep inside--that wants to do it with him.  There it is...that spark, the spark I had 10 years ago.  It's pretty tiny right now.  I have spent 3/4 of my adult life being over 250+ pounds.  It's what I know. 

It's been so long that I forget what having a smaller waist is like.  I have been in size 20 and above for 6 years.  I haven't shopped in the "normal" size section in over 10 years.  Sadly, even when I could fit in standard size clothing (size 12/14 is my smallest ever post puberty size) I never relished the fact.  I was always staring at the girls size 10 and below.  I always was thinking, "I want to be like her".  I rarely, if ever, looked in the mirror and thought: "I look good, I like myself."  Size 14 was "Plus size" to me.  And now that I am in "Plus size" I guess I don't totally care.  Don't get me wrong, I care.  But maybe not enough to do something about it? Not sure. 

I care enough to write this blog.  This is me talking to myself.  This is me figuring out why I am fat and how to finally lose this weight.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Courtney. I wish you the best on this journey. I am just beginning my journey to lose over 250 lbs. By "beginning", I mean I am making losing weight a priority. I have been on a diet since I was 11 years old. There hasn't been a day since then that I didn't think about dieting and wanting to be thinner. I wish I could have done something about it sooner. Now, I realize that dieting doesn't work. That I need to make changes in my eating and exercising and keep them for life.

    There are many reasons to care about losing weight. I now have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and Type II Diabetes. All of this could have been prevented if I would have taken care of myself when I was in my 20's.

    Good luck Courtney, you can do this.

    ReplyDelete